LINC Home Study Program Forum Homepage LINC Home Study Forum LINC Home Study Program Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public Forum > Education > In the News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Star Teacher Award Goes to Kevin Hrycay

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JunTak View Drop Down
Teachers
Teachers

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Star Teacher Award Goes to Kevin Hrycay
    Posted: Oct/14/2011 at 3:15pm
Star Teacher Award winner Kevin Hrycay hit all the right notes
By Kristin Rushowy

The school went from about 20 kids in the band to more than 200 — in one year. From almost non-existent to award-winning.

Students and their families at Cosburn Middle School call the man behind the music, teacher Kevin Hrycay, a “gift to the community,” a “rare gem.”

Some parents even consider him a miracle worker, inspiring their teens to not only be a part of a band, but also to get up early and get to practice well before the 8 a.m. start to ensure they’d get a seat.

“He didn’t make people come that early; everyone came because they wanted to,” says Paloma Zander, now a high-school student at Rosedale Heights School of the Arts.

“He has a warm heart,” says Monica Anton, now also in high school. “I honestly think I never had a better music teacher. He made our school. You’d say you go to Cosburn, and people would know it as the music school. He did that.”

Hrycay — known as the Big H to his students — is the winner of this year’s Toronto Star Teacher Award. In the 24 nomination letters, parents and students spoke of his talent, his dedication to the music program and the countless hours he volunteered to build up the concert band, jazz band and other small ensembles.

“He made sure you worked hard,” says Kathleen Morgan, who played the flute in the band last year in Grade 8. “I learned really quickly because he taught so well — I was ahead of my friends at other schools. He would push you, but he knew you could do it. He made sure you worked hard.”

Read the rest of the article:
  Share Topic